Welcome to our Home

Welcome to our Home
Come on in!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Meet me in the Mountains

Check out all the snow...and the snowmobile tracks!
 Most winter weekends, you'll find us at our little log cabin.  We call her "The Snow Globe" because she is located in the  western mountains of our state, which is in the snow belt. This little gem of a cabin is perfectly located for us to be surrounded by evergreens and have our privacy, but also situated to give us direct access to the region's snowmobile trails.
  Friday, after work, my husband and I packed up the pooches and headed west. It takes us a little over 3 hours to get to The Snow Globe, but we don't mind the drive. The hectic pace of the work week is left behind.
   It was dark when we arrived at the cabin. We found that the wind had driven drifts of snow up against the garage door and onto the front porch.  Together we shoveled away the snow. The sky was clear and the stars were twinkling above us. It was peaceful and you know what? The shoveling was a pleasant task. Now that is not something I usually say!
  Once inside we followed our usual tradition of snuggling into our "cabin pants", thermal tops and warm wool socks. Curled up on the leather sofas, with a nice glass of wine meant we had made it to the weekend.
  We snowmobiled on Saturday and Sunday. The temperatures were cold, but we are prepared for that. The trails were smooth and the trees were covered with heavy snow. At times it looked like we were riding through a fairy land.  On our Sunday ride I had an unusual experience. As I was riding along, a deer jumped out of the woods onto the trail in front of me.  Don't worry, I poke along and the deer was at a safe distance ahead of me. That little white-tail trotted happily along and seemed uneffected by my presence. I love wildlife and my heart swelled with joy to be out in the middle of the woods, following this timid creature.  You can't plan for an experience like this. It just happens. I was lucky to be where I was and I celebrated that moment. I also gave thanks that it wasn't a moose that jumped onto the trail!!
  We rode up a mountain to a scenic overlook. The wind was blowing and it was pretty cold, but the views were amazing. The world around us was pristine and peaceful. I wish you could have been there.

    Have you ever been outside, like you were a part of nature and felt completely content?  I would love to hear about your experience.

view from the scenic overlook

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a wonderful winter get-away! especially when you can leave your work week at another place. OMG all that snow! must be like heaven but for me.....brrrrr! i have no snow adventure to speak of except the snow we got this year in alabama.....frightening! 10" is MAJOR for us and i stayed inside as much as possible. lol

    i love looking at the snow thru your eyes and with the excitement you bring with it. thanks maryanne for the trip to the snow globe!

    lori

    ReplyDelete