Welcome to our Home

Welcome to our Home
Come on in!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A New Tradition, A "New" Tabletop

 Here's the background: When we bought our cabin a few years ago, we discovered that the previous owners had left their dining room table behind. We could see why. While it was sturdy and would seat 8, it really was nothing special. It was not a table I would have chosen, but hey it was free. I knew that in time we would replace the table with something else.
  Who knew that Yahtzee would be a catalyst for change?! After a day of snowmobile riding and a spicy chili dinner, my husband, my son, my son's girlfriend and I all gathered around the ho-hum-nothing-special dining room table for a Yahtzee tournament. My son just has a knack for rolling the dice and he ALWAYS gets yahtzees and leads in the scoring. My husband was struggling with his scores and after several rounds he finally rolled all sixes. He was so excited that he picked up a pen and signed, yes, signed (and dated ) the top of the table!  I was stunned!  When I said, "What are you doing?!" He  replied, "I want to remember the first time I got a yahtzee at camp!"  We were all laughing and it was fun.  At the end of the evening, our son did emerge the victorious winner. He then signed the table as The Champ of Camp for January.
  So, a new tradition has begun: Instead of recording events in a journal, highlights of our times at the cabin will now be recorded on the dining room tabletop. Never, ever would I have guessed that I'd become fond of that table. You know what?  The writing on the table transformed it into something unique and personal. I find it totally endearing. I imagine many other events from our family history will be recorded on that table. Perhaps it will eventually become a treasured family keepsake. Just thinking about our "new" table is making my heart swell with happiness.  That table is now a "keeper".


  Has something simple and unexpected touched your heart and made you smile? I'd love to hear about it.

Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. now that's a cool idea! by the end of the year your table will be like a journal. wonder if you could take pics of each "signed" event on the table and add them to the table? maybe like a family album, under glass? hmmm dunno but sure sounds like you're in for a great time.

    lori

    ReplyDelete